Health related events, religious holidays or other observances which might impact clinical care of immigrants and refugees.
- Information about contributing to the calendar.
- Interfaith Calendar: A listing of World Religion sacred times. There may be some variation of dates, but a good summary of religious holy days.
Events and Holidays listed in chronological order (ongoing activities listed last):
- Women Only Fitness, Tukwila Community Center
- A fitness room with reserved times for women only at the Tukwila Community Center (greater Seattle WA area). Saturdays 2pm - 5pm; Sundays 1pm - 3pm. $3.00- $5.00 Fee. See flyer for details.
- Women-Only Swims and Lessons - Seattle Pools
- Several Seattle public pools have women-only swim times on Saturdays (various times) with female staff and windows covered for privacy.
- Resource Fair at Ethiopian Community
- Wednesday, 7/27 1:30pm-3:30pm: Resource Fair organized by the Department of Neighborhoods, City of Seattle, at the Ethiopian Community in Seattle. The main audience will be adults and seniors, mostly Amharic and English speaking, with some Somali, Oromo, and Tigrinya speakers as well.
- Community Resource Fair - International Drop-in Center
- Friday, 8/5, 1pm-3pm: Resource Fair at International Drop-in Center, a Filipino senior services center serving the elders of Seattle and King County. Organized by the Department of Neighborhoods, City of Seattle. The main audience will be seniors, almost all Tagalog and English speaking.
- National African American & Refugee HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis Awareness Day
- September 9th is designated as NAIRHHA Day. The purpose is to bring national and local attention to the HIV and viral Hepatitis needs of African immigrants living in the U.S. in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.
- Eid al-Adha (Id Arafa) 2016
- September 11-14 (estimated). The Feast of the Sacrifice, this festival concludes the Hajj (annual pilgrimages to Mecca, Saudi Arabia) and recalls Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son in obedience to Allah (God).
- 4th U.S. Conference on African Immigrant Health
- Information for the 4th U.S. Conference on African Immigrant Health, September 15-18, 2016 in New York City.
- Navigating Cultural Differences: Palliative Medicine Provider Education
- A 2-day provider education conference in Seattle WA about best practices and resources concerning palliative medicine and what is important for providers to know when working with seriously ill patients from diverse backgrounds.
- Al-Hijra (Muharram) Islamic New Year 2016
- October 2, 2016 (estimated), and continues for 29 days. Al-Hijra is the Islamic New Year, celebrated on the first day of the month of Muharram, the month in which Muhammad emigrated from Mecca to Medina. The holiday is also called simply Muharram.
- Washington State TB Educational Conference
- 14th Annual Washington State TB Conference October 19, 2016 with national speakers Dr. Lisa Armitage from Heartland National TB Center and Dr. Kevin Winthrop from Oregon Sch of Medicine Div of Infectious Disease.
- Third Annual Higher Refugee Employment Workshop
- This workshop Nov 2-4, 2016 in Denver, CO offers a wide range of refugee employment training topics for varying levels of experience. Participants will also be provided with opportunities for peer exchange. Sponsored by Higher, an ORR technical assistance provider, and co-hosted by African Community Center of Denver.