Health related events, religious holidays or other observances which might impact clinical care of immigrants and refugees.
- Information about contributing to the calendar.
- Interfaith Calendar: A listing of World Religion sacred times. There may be some variation of dates, but a good summary of religious holy days.
Events and Holidays listed in chronological order (ongoing activities listed last):
- Women-Only Swims and Lessons - Seattle Pools
- Several Seattle public pools have women-only swim times on Saturdays (various times) with female staff and windows covered for privacy.
- Free Class to prepare for US Citizenship - Seattle WA
- A free class offered on Tuesdays from 3-4:30pm by St. James Immigrant Assistance Project, the City of Seattle New Citizens Program and the Public Law Library of King County to help immigrants and refugees prepare for US Citizenship.
- Open Doors for Multicultural Families - Webinar Series
- Open Doors for Multicultural Families provides services for diverse families who have family members with developmental/intellectual disabilities and special health care needs have equal access to culturally and linguistically appropriate information, resources and services. They are hosting a series of free webinars on 3rd Wednesday of month (Jan-May 2016) from 3:15-4:15 PST.
- Tết 2016 - Vietnamese New Year
- Monday, February 8, 2016, begins the Year of the Monkey. Tết is the Vietnamese New Year, celebrated on the first day of the first month on the lunar calendar, usually between January 19 and February 20. It symbolizes new beginnings, with various rituals added by different religions. In Seattle, the annual Tết celebration at the Seattle Center will happen February 13-14, 2016.
- Chinese New Year 2016
- February 8, 2016, Year of the Monkey. Chinese New Year is a major holiday for the Chinese and has had influence on the lunar new year celebrations of its geographic neighbors.
- Fast of Ninevah 2016
- The fast of Ninevah, Feb 22-24, 2016, commemorates the preaching of Jonah. This is one of the 7 official fasting periods for the Ethiopian Orthodox church. It comes on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of the third week before Lent.
- Abiy Tsom (Lent) 2016 (Ethiopian Orthodox)
- Mar 7 - April 30, 2016; Ethiopian Orthodox Great Holy Lent Fast lasting 55 days, culminating on Easter day, May 1, 2016.
- Immigrant & Migrant Health Conference 2016
- The Immigrant and Migrant Health Conference March 11-12, 2016 is for health care professionals that work with immigrant, migrant, and refugee populations. Ohio University’s Global Health Initiative along with the Center for International Studies is sponsoring this event. Health topics ranging from legal and economic issues, cultural barriers, healthcare challenges, and community resources will be discussed.
- Northwest Regional Conference on African Immigrant Health
- A 2-day conference, March 19-20, 2016, highlighting core competencies in service delivery and best practices to help build on the African immigrant communities' strengths. Sponsored by Office of Minority Health (OMH), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and EthnoMed.
- Health Equity Leadership Institute
- June 12-17, 2016 at the University of Wisconsin is an intensive weeklong "research boot camp" focused on increasing the number of researchers engaged in health disparities/health equity research.