Breastfeeding Clinical Topics
Information for providers about breastfeeding and related topics, especially as related to culture.
See also: Breastfeeding
- Breast Feeding Support for Somali Mothers - PDF
- A powerpoint slide show saved as PDF (22 slides), produced by practitioners at Harborview Medical Center/University of Washington, 2007; about infant overfeeding in immigrant families, with focus on Somali families. Considers factors leading to overfeeding, guidance for prenatal and postpartum education, and information about Somali cultural experience.
- Link to Journal article from Pediatrics in Review (Authors: Pak-Gorstein, Haq, Graham), used with permission.
- Failure to Thrive and Oral Aversion in Immigrant Infants and Toddlers
- Summary report of a quality improvement project carried out to determine if there were common patterns found in the history and presentation of non-organic failure to thrive among Somali infants and if underlying cultural factors might be influencing this condition.
- “My baby refuses to eat!”: Overfeeding of Somali Infants
- Article describing a pattern of overfeeding Somali infants leading to conditions such as refusal to eat, oral aversion, failure to thrive; includes recommendations for clinically effective intervention and prevention.
- Oromo Immigrants and Breast Feeding Information for American Health Care Providers
- Information about Oromo practices and beliefs about breastfeeding.
- Somali Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Study: Infant and Young Child Feeding and Health Seeking Practices
- PDF (102 pages) Report of a study conducted to enhance understanding of the contribution of poor child care practices to malnutrition (both acute and chronic) and subsequently to provide key recommendations for simple and effective responses.
- Breastfeeding in Ramadhan
- Information about how to maintain a good milk supply while fasting during Ramadhan.