End of Life Clinical Topics
Cultural Relevance in End of Life Care
This resource, authored by a community health and hospice clinician who has over 30 years’ experience with hospice care, addresses three major areas of cultural relevance in end-of-life care: cultural competency in clinical practice; advance directives; and pain management. The article presents several models for cultural assessment including questions and sample scripts for the health care provider to consider for discussions with patients.
Medical Examiner and Issues of Culture
The King County Medical Examiner's Office at Harborview Medical Center (HMC) in Seattle, WA hosted a series of meetings to improve cross-cultural communication and competency in their work with members of local refugee and immigrant communities. The following information comes from those conversations.
End-of-Life Educational Curriculum
Other websites and programs providing educational information around end-of-life issues.
- Interpreting in Palliative Care
- As the use of palliative care grows, so does the diversity of patients who opt for it. California Health Care Foundation has supported the following curriculum development.
Interpreting in Palliative Care, available on the California Health Care Foundation website, is a curriculum geared for trainers and includes lession plans, training materials, everything a trainer needs to teach a 7-hr workshop in a classroom.
- Interpreting in Palliative Care, available on the Health Care Interpreter Network website, has launched an interpreter training site with an online course. This is a self-paced course for professional interpreters to take on their own. There is a small fee for the course ($35.00), but it has been approved for Continuing Education credits with some organizations. The American Translators Association (ATA) has approved 7 CE Points for this on-line class.
- Culturally Competent End-of-Life Care course
- Talaria Inc provides some on-line training and educational tools. The 1st edition of "Culture and End of Life" is free for a single user. Other training and CME available for cost on this topic and others.