Hispanic/Latino Clinical Topics
Clinical topics related to Hispanic/Latino cultures.
- Hispanic/Latino Homepage
- Starting place on EthnoMed for browsing information about Hispanic cultures and health topics, and health information in Spanish language.
- ¡No soy Loco! / I'm Not Crazy! Understanding the Stigma of Mental Illness in Latinos - video
- 46 minute training video for psychiatry residents, social workers, clinical psychologists, mental health nurses, mental health counselors and case managers. View the video by clicking the play icon (it may take some time to load, depending on the speed of your internet connection). You can also view in full screen by clicking the icon at the bottom right corner of the video player, once the video has loaded. The goal of the video is to demonstrate how Latino patients present their stigma of mental illness and how skilled therapists manage it. The video is comprised of vignettes of interviews with three simulated Latino patients: A young man with schizophrenia; a grandmother with bipolar disorder, whose son does not think she is well enough to care for her granddaughter; and a young woman who has been molested by her mother’s boyfriend and previously misdiagnosed as having schizophrenia. The vignettes are based on cases developed by the psychiatrists who appear in the DVD. The patients are actors, but the case material comes from real patients with whom the clinicians have worked. The cases have been altered to protect the identities of the patients involved. Used with permission.
- Group Nutrition Education Poster
- A 1 page poster PDF summarizing a WIC group nutrition project for Spanish and Somali families.
- Cultural and Socioeconomic Factors Affecting Cancer Screening, Early Detection and Care in the Latino Population
- The goal of this article is to improve rates of cancer screening and cancer outcomes by increasing the medical community’s understanding of the complex cultural and socioeconomic factors affecting Latinos. Article contains selected patient education resources in the Spanish language and a link to a cancer resource page which includes information about websites and helplines for Spanish speakers.
- Adherence Barriers to Antidepressants among an Urban Female Latino Population
- An article highlighting insights from providers and patients about risk factors, protective factors and interventions related to adherence barriers to antidepressants among urban Latinos.
- ¡No soy Loco! / I'm Not Crazy! Understanding the Stigma of Mental Illness in Latinos - Facilitator's Guide
- 34 page PDF study guide for use with the video. Includes description of the Latino community in the United States including information about demographics, language, religion and use of herbal medicines. Also covered, the concept of 'locura', information about culture bound syndromes, and overview of mental illness and mental health stigma in this population. The guide includes description of the purpose, learning objectives, potential uses and audiences for the video, along with helpful hints for facilitators and more information about the clinical and cultural aspects of the 3 case studies in the video. Also included, DSM-IV-TR Outline for Cultural Formulation.