Tuberculosis Clinical Topics
Information about cultural aspects of TB to help inform clinical practice.
Clinician Resources on TB
Targeted information for clinicians about treating tuberculosis, specifically in immigrant populations.
- Primary Care Tools for the Management of TB in the Foreign Born
- A clinician's tool to navigate the issues related to Tuberculosis
- Linguistic and Cultural Aspects of Tuberculosis Screening and Management for Refugees and Immigrants
- The text of a talk given at the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease Conference in 1996 on the cultural aspects of TB Screening.
- Stamping out TB: A community-based outreach worker model for TB prevention
- A slideshow with information about a community based outreach worker model and program in 3 refugee communities in Seattle and King County in 1999-2001. The program was coordinated by the S-KC Health Department TB Control Program & Harborview Medical Center, modeled after Harborview's Community House Calls program, and supported by a combination of funding from WA state DSHS, federal and foundation grants.
- Tuberculosis in the United States - 2005 Highlights
- PowerPoint slide show saved as PDF (26 slides) National Surveillance System Highlights from 2005 - Presentation by the Division of Tuberculosis Elimination Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of Tuberculosis in the United States.
TB Cultural Profiles
Ethnic group-specific brief articles on cross-cultural and linguistic issues in tuberculosis
- Cambodian Tuberculosis Cultural Profile
- Some cultural information about tuberculosis in Cambodian community.
- Ethiopian Tuberculosis Cultural Profile
- Information describing beliefs and practices relating to tuberculosis among Ethiopian immigrants living in Seattle, WA.
- Oromo Tuberculosis Cultural Profile
- Information describing beliefs and practices relating to tuberculosis among Oromo immigrants living in Seattle, WA.
- Somali Tuberculosis Cultural Profile
- Information describing beliefs and practices relating to tuberculosis among Somali immigrants.
- Vietnamese Tuberculosis Cultural Profile
- A brief article describing beliefs and practices relating to tuberculosis among Vietnamese living in the US.
Links to Centers for Disease Control "Core Curriculum on Tuberculosis".
Core Curriculum on Tuberculosis
In September 2011, CDC released the 5th edition of the Core Curriculum on Tuberculosis: What the Clinician Should Know. This can be used as a self-study guide or reference manual for clinicians and public health professionals.
Link to Core Curriculum on Tuberculosis
You may also link to a specfic chapter:
- Overview of TB Epidemiology in the US
- Transmission and Pathogenesis of TB
- Testing for TB Infection and Disease
- Diagnosis of TB Disease
- Treatment of LTBI
- Treatment of TB Disease
- TB Infection Control
- Community TB Control
Find TB Resources
CDC's "Find TB Resources" connects you to a worldwide library of online resources, training, and educational materials. The website is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of Tuberculosis Elimination (DTBE).
Clinical Pearls on TB
Brief articles for clinicians about TB and cross cultural care.
- Clinical Pearl: The Stigma of TB
- A short clinical pearl about stigma associated with TB which has obvious consequences for health care providers.
- Clinical Pearl: Compliance with INH Prophylaxis for Tuberculosis
- A short clinical pearl about the importance of differentiating between medical practices in the United States and in developing countries in treatment of TB.
Related TB Websites
The Minnesota Department of Health has information for providers including:
TB Education and Training
Ongoing TB education/training for TB prevention, control, and elimination.
- Clinician's Corner
A collection of resources for providers working with refugee populations including TB
- Curry International Tuberculosis Center
- The Curry International Tuberculosis Center (CITC) creates, enhances and disseminates state-of-the-art resources and models of excellence and performs research to control and eliminate tuberculosis in the United States and internationally.
Global Health TB Articles
Articles about TB relating to broader global health issues.
Guest Editorial by Dr. Elinor A. Graham, appearing in "The Seattle Times"