Immigration and Naturalization: Information for Providers
Feb 2013: Read about "How Health Reform Affects Immigrants & Refugees"
Information prepared by Northwest Health Law Advocates
Completing the N-648 form
- What is an N-648 and why do I have to do it?
- Why do many immigrants need to become U.S. citizens in order to continue receiving needed benefit?
- Who is eligible for a disability waiver?
- Suggestions and examples regarding the completion of the N-648 form, with a link to the current forms
- Special circumstances:
- Can an elderly applicant qualify for an N-648 on the basis of old age alone?
- What if my patient is illiterate in his/her native language?
- Can an applicant qualify for an N-648 on the basis of a physical disability?
- What about effects of medication?
- What is an oath waiver? When does an oath waiver need to be complete
Codes to be considered when completing the form
Glossaries of Terms Used
Refugees & Immigrants: Useful Terms & Concepts: David Roesel MD
Definitions of Terms Association of Refugee Health Coordinators.
UNHCR Resettlement Handbook
Revised July 2011 edition