Browse by Topic
- Information about asthma, in several languages.
- Common question about blood. Information about reasons for drawing blood and what different blood tests mean. Available in English, Somali and Spanish languages
- Patient education information about breastfeeding
- Patient education materials about cancer
- Pages to facilitate communication between provider and patient.
- Patient education materials about Diabetes, in a number of languages.
- Domestic Violence
- Information and resources around issues of domestic violence
- Emergency Preparedness
- Resources and information about emergency preparedness and disaster planning.
- Exercise/Physical Activity
- Patient education materials on topics relevant to older adults.
- Information for patients about the various types of Hepatitis.
- Folder containing patient education materials related to the topic of HIV/AIDS
- Information for patients about high blood pressure.
- Mental Health
- Folder containing patient education materials about topics related to mental health and illness
- Neurological Diseases
- Patient education resources about neurological conditions that involve the nervous system, including cerebral palsy, dementia, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis.
- Pediatric Health
- Common pediatric conditions and educational materials on topics of cough/cold, diaper rash, fever, rickets, vomiting/diarrhea, and other related topics.
- Refugee Health
- Folder for patient education materials around issues specific to refugee and/or immigrant health.
- Folder containing patient education materials about Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
- Information for patients about smoking and health.
- Swine Flu
- Tests / Procedures / Radiology
- Translated information for patients about preparing for tests and examination procedures.
- Patient education materials about TB in various languages.
Browse by Language
- Listing of patient education materials in Amharic language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Chinese language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Hmong language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Karen language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Khmer language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Oromo language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Somali language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Spanish language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Tigrinya language.
- Listing of patient education materials in Vietnamese language.
Blind/Low Literacy Audio Resources
Materials from the Utah Department of Health, Office of Health Disparities
The following links to other websites are provided as a means of accessing information. EthnoMed does not claim to verify all information, including translations, found through links.
- ACS has cancer related resources, and have created a special section featuring Asian language materials, and Spanish language materials.
- The APICEM Tool provides links to Contributor’s web sites containing Asian or Pacific Islander cancer education materials. The materials referenced here have been screened by the contributing organizations/programs for medical accuracy and cultural relevance.
- Los Angeles District FDA Site with materials on cancer screening in a variety of languages.
- The Breast, Cervical & Colon Health Program (BCCHP), funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)and Washington state, provides free breast and cervical cancer screening for low-income women. Factsheets, brochures, videos about breast cancer screening, colonoscopy and fecal occult blood test (FOBT) in a number of languages (English, Chinese, Cambodian/Khmer, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese) and cervical cancer prevention materials in English, Spanish and Vietnamese produced by the Breast, Cervical and Colon Health Program at Public Health-Seattle & King County.
- Website of ECHO Minnesota Collaborative c/o Association of Minnesota Counties. ECHO provides health and safety information in multiple languages and mediums by fax, phone, on television and on the web during emergency and non-emergency times to people with limited English language skills. Select a topic, and then click the language at the right to view the video in that language. All videos available in: English, Khmer, Somali, Vietnamese, Lao, Spanish, Hmong. Some resources available in these other languages: Amharic, Arabic, Karen, Oromo, Russian
- Seattle Channel presents videos about what every citizen should know and how to equip and safeguard your home for an Emergency. The Personal and Family Preparedness video has been created to help Seattle residents prepare for disasters, available in the following languages: Amharic, Cambodian (Khmer), Cantonese, Oromo, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tigrinya, Vietnamese.
- Health Information Translations is a collaborative initiative to improve health education for limited English proficiency patients, by leveraging the combined skills and experience of 3 of Central Ohio's largest health care organizations in the production of translated patient education materials.
- are newly open to the public. You can choose to see the list of handouts sorted by language or by alphabetical English title. Click on the language version specifically. When it comes up, you will find that the English of the piece is the second half of each document on HOL. This was arranged so that the doctor or nurse always hands the patient both language versions at the same time.
- This site contains free health education materials on a wide range of topics in a number of languages and a variety of formats. They are being developed to study the value of these formats in providing health information for diverse populations in a variety of settings. Materials are developed with attention paid to the issues of literacy, health-literacy, illness, aging, disability and language.
- Formerly known as the WA State Asian Pacific Islander (API) Hepatitis B Task Force, HBCW has worked to bring hepatitis B awareness and education to the API community since 1997, and has since expanded work to other populations from high risk regions. Work includes exploration into culturally appropriate and effective strategies to reaching the families and household members of positive individuals, and promoting understanding of the liver disease, including testing, immunizations, and treatment for hepatitis B. HBCW is a network of health care professionals and community volunteers, health departments, community clinics, and nonprofit organizations. Click on Resources for education materials in many languages.
- This comprehensive website posts original content and links to outside sources of bilingual health information (Hmong and English). Categories of dozens of health conditions and topics include family health, healthy living, traditional healing, talking with health providers, and more.
- Links to find health information in languages other than English, provided on the National Library of Medicine consumer health information website. Includes quality guidelines for how they select the links on these pages. Browse information in multiple languages and by health topic.
- An Australian-based site with aim to facilitate the communication of information about health issues and services to people of non-English speaking backgrounds.
EthnoMed is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. Any medical or other decisions should be made in consultation with your doctors. Harborview Medical Center and the University of Washington Health Sciences Library will not be liable for any complication, injuries or other medical accidents arising from or in connection with the use of or reliance upon any information in the web.
Unless otherwise stated on specific content, EthnoMed operates under the Creative Commons License: Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States
You are free to copy, distribute, display this work under the following conditions:
- Attribution: You must attribute the work to EthnoMed, and author or licensor.
- Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial or for-profit purposes
- Alterations: You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license of this work. Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder. Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.