Immunization/Vaccine Patient Education Resources
Immunization and vaccine information particularly relevant to refugee and immigrant populations. This includes flu and swine flu resources and links to translated vaccine information available in other languages.
Multilingual Flu Resources
There are sites that provide translated patient education information and below are several of the ones known for providing good translations:
- MedlinePlus: "Flu - Multiple Languages" The National Library of Medicine links to information about flu and flu vaccine in dozens of languages.
- Public Health - Seattle & King County: "Influenza facts in multiple languages" (Chinese, English, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese).
- HealthReach - Health Information in Many Languages (formerly RHIN): Search for the term "flu" and see results including the document "Flu and You" from CDC/DHHS available in 11 languages (English; Amharic; Arabic; Burmese; Dzongkha; Farsi; Karen; Kirundi; Nepali; Oromo; Somali).
Swine Flu (H1N1)
In 2009 the outbreak of disease in people caused by a new influenza virus of swine origin (H1N1) became a pandemic globally. In 2010, the World Health Organization declared an end to the pandemic, but expect that the H1N1 virus will continue to spread for years to come, like a regular seasonal influenza virus. The following resources were developed as a response to the 2009 outbreak.
Harborview Medical Center - Swine Flu Videos
Harborview Medical Center has created videos in the following languages narrated by medical interpreters at HMC. These videos are approximately 5-7 minutes in length, and could be used in a clinic waiting room or public setting.
View the English text used in the videos.
Related Websites with Swine Flu Resources
- Centers for Disease Control has some of their information in a few major languages.
- ECHO - in partnership with the Minnesota Dept. of Public Health has created video, audio, print and other resources on H1N1 and Flu in multiple languages. These resources include basic H1N1 prevention information, vaccine information and other tips on keeping yourself and your family safe this flu season.
- Medline Plus : Search Swine Flu (H1N1)
Vaccine Patient Education
- Immunization Action Coalition
The Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) works to increase immunization rates and prevent disease by creating and distributing educational materials for health professionals and the public that enhance the delivery of safe and effective immunization services. They have Vaccine Information Statements in 40 languages. See more information below.
- Is Your 11 to 18 year old Protected from Serious Diseases?
This resource about teen vaccines is from Public Health - Seattle & King County. It is a 2 page brochure with information about Meningococcal Disease, Pertussis, and Human Papillomavirus and is available in the following languages:
English, Amharic, Chinese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Tigrigna, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
- Plain Talk About Child Immunization - Currently available in English, Spanish and Russian
This 6th edition (2009, 54 pages, PDF) of "Plain Talk" provides parents with accurate information about immunizations and the diseases they prevent, benefits and risks and vaccine safety and effectiveness. It also includes current updated statistics, and questions about delaying immunizations.
This edition was developed and edited by the following public and private organizations: Community Health Plan, Immunization Action Coalition of Washington (WithinReach), Public Health – Seattle & King County, Snohomish Health District, Washington State Department of Health.
Vaccine Information Statements
The Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) has Vaccine Information Statements (VISs) in many languages. Please visit the IAC website (see website link above) to see all the VISs and languages available. EthnoMed is featuring the following VISs in languages that have an audio component produced by the 24 Languages Project.
Polio Vaccine Information
The following languages were part of a project (24 Languages Project) that recorded an audio version of the CDC vaccine information on Polio vaccine. The Immunization Action Coalition site has the Polio Vaccine information translated into 29 languages, EthnoMed is only listing those that have an audio version.
- Polio Vaccine Information Sheet
(No English audio)
Hib Vaccine Information
Vaccine information on Hib in selected languages with audio option.
- Hib Vaccine - English
(No English Audio)