Health Care Coverage Available for COFA Islanders
Health Care Coverage Available for COFA Islanders: starting January 1, 2019, the WA State Health Care Authority will be paying the monthly premiums and out-of-pocket expenses for silver level Qualified Health Plans for Compact of Free Association (COFA) islanders. COFA islanders include people from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau.
External Links: Marshallese Culture and Health Information
Unnatural Cases, –Episode 6 of the acclaimed documentary series broadcast by PBS and now used by thousands of organizations around the country to tackle the root causes of our alarming socio-economic and racial inequities in health, asks the question How do Marshall Islanders pay for globalization and U.S. military policy with their health?
Embassy of the Republic of the Marshall Island to the United States of America–Information on Marshallese culture
Health Education Materials
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes Booklet - Marshallese: Marshallese translation of Take Charge of Your Diabetes – a Reinforcement Booklet for People with Diabetes, from the resource library of the State of Hawaii, Department of Health Diabetes – Chronic Disease Prevention & Health Promotion Division
- The Pacific Diabetes Education Program (PDEP) was a five-year project (2005-2010) funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to improve the availability and dissemination of culturally and linguistically appropriate diabetes education materials. The website provides access diabetes education materials and resources that were created especially for Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders.
- The Center for Pacific Islander Health:Health education videos recorded in Marshallese with English subtitles on topics of glucose testing and diabetes medication. The Center for Pacific Islander Health is a multi-disciplinary center at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Northwest in Fayetteville, Arkansas focusing on research, community programs, training, and policy.
- Tuberculosis Patient Education - Marshallese: TB education materials (including Marshallese radio segments and health information brochures) from the State of Hawaii, Department of Health Tuberculosis Control Program
- Marshallese - Health Information Translations: health education materials in many languages, including Marshallese, via a website collaboration of health education specialists from the four health systems in Central Ohio.
- Health Reach - Marshallese: links to health education materials in many languages, including Marshallese, from this database resource of the National Library of Medicine
- Health Information in Marshallese (Ebon): MedlinePlus: trusted health Information in Marshallese (Ebon) from the National Library of Medicine’s consumer health information website
- Utah Department of Health: links to health education materials in many languages, including Marshallese, gathered by the Utah Dept. of Health