This content is posted with permission from the Washington State Department of Health, Refugee Health Program. Please contact them directly if you want to be added to their email list, or submit events/news to the bulletin.
Events and Trainings
- CDC Webinar: Flu Vaccination Through Late Fall and Winter: It’s Not Too Late! – In this webinar, you’ll learn the benefits of vaccination through the holiday season and beyond, and how to safely administer the vaccine during the COVID-19 pandemic. When: December 7, 2-3pm EST. Register Now!
- OMH: National COVID-19 Resiliency Network (NCRN) – The HHS Office of Minority Health (OMH) is working with the Morehouse School of Medicine through a cooperative agreement to develop a national network of state, territorial, tribal and local public and community-based organizations to help address the impact of COVID-19 among racial and ethnic minority populations. OMH and Morehouse School of Medicine invites organizations and individuals across the country to be a part of this initiative. Learn more or email OMH.
- Northwest Center for Public Health Practice: Managing Infodemics and Conspiracy Theories – This one-hour webinar, which is part of the Hot Topics series, reviews how public health professionals can ensure accurate messages cut through an abundance of information and help steer the public conversation. When: November 23, 12pm PST. Register Now!
- Ensuring COVID-19 Vaccine Access, Safety, and Utilization: Building Vaccination Confidence in Communities of Color – As has been the case with previous public health emergencies, the COVID-19 pandemic is exposing racial inequities that have long existed in the U.S. Racial and ethnic disparities also continue in vaccine access, due to contributing factors such as lack of access to health coverage and care and issues of distrust. Access the Webinar Here.
- WithinReach: Hepatitis B Health Disparities in Refugee and Immigrant Communities – National data have identified large disparities in hepatitis b incidence and prevalence in the United States, particularly among immigrants and refugees from hepatitis b endemic regions. This course will give you the tools you need to work with immigrant and refugee patients and ensure they are screened and effectively treated for hepatitis b. Register Now!
- Refugees and Asylees Have the Right to Work Webinar – Join Switchboard for a special guest presentation from the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division’s Immigrant and Employee Rights Section, which will include real case scenarios and be followed by a Q&A panel discussion featuring refugee service providers. When: December 2, 2pm ET. Register Now!
- Virtual USCIS Seattle Stakeholder Meeting – USCIS District 41 and the Seattle Field Office invite interested parties to participate in a virtual stakeholder meeting on Thursday, December 17 from 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM PST. This is an opportunity to receive important updates from local leadership and raise concerns regarding operations at the local field office. If you have non-case specific questions that you would like for us to address during the meeting, please send them here.
Community Information and Resources
- Inslee appoints Umair A. Shah, MD, MPH new secretary of health – Gov. Jay Inslee today appointed Umair A. Shah, MD, MPH as the new Washington state secretary of health starting December 21. Learn more>>
- COVID-19 Vaccine Response Planning – To prepare the public for the eventual release of a vaccine for COVID-19, DOH launched phase one of a statewide ad campaign. The campaign will have several phases over the course of the next two years. To access all campaign materials as they go live, please click here.
- #TelehealthTuesday Campaign – Telehealth is an important tool, especially during the COVID-19 public health emergency. To promote telehealth, the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) is running its #TelehealthTuesday social media campaign, which highlights telehealth.hhs.gov as a reliable hub for telehealth information. Every Tuesday, HRSA will highlight tips, best practices, and other resources for patients and providers alike.
- The UCLA Asian American Studies Center, in partnership with the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health and the UCLA Institute of American Cultures, has created the COVID-19 Multilingual Resource Hub. It is searchable by language or resource.
- Check out the Get My Flu Shot toolkit for social media messaging, graphics, PSAs and other helpful tips on engaging media and other partners in your community. For more information and to view the communications toolkit to help educate your community, click here.
- CDC Vaccinate with Confidence: Protect Communities, Empower Families, Stop Myths – When misleading information circulates, vaccination coverage can fall and increase the risk for outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases. For more information about CDC’s new Vaccinate with Confidence framework, click here.
- CDC COVID-19 Public Service Announcements (PSAs) – Information on topics such as “Key Times to Wear a Mask”, “How to Wear a Mask”, “Key Times to Practice Social Distancing” and “I Think/Know I had COVID-19”, available in multiple languages. Learn more>>
- More free flu vaccination clinics throughout King County – More locations and times to get a free flu vaccine are happening! Some are drive-through so that you don’t even have to get out of the car, and some events also offer help enrolling in health insurance. Find Locations Now!
- DOH Behavioral Health Resources and Recommendations – This can be a stressful time. It is normal that you or your loved ones might feel anxious, sad, scared or angry. You are not alone. It is okay to seek out and ask for help. Visit coronavirus.wa.gov/wellbeing for crisis support and self-care resources for you and the people you care about. Learn more>>
Funding and Job Opportunities
Jewish Family Services is Hiring: Employment Case Manager – This full-time (37.5 hours/week) position provides case management services critical to refugee and immigrant clients’ economic stability. The position will work one-on-one with clients to identify and overcome barriers to employment and financial asset building, focusing on long term career planning and advancement. Find job description here or Apply Now!